A Hosta cultivar ‘Neulpureum 1’ was bred at the Korea National Arboretum, which produces new cultivars using vegetative propagation techniques. The new cultivar ‘Neulpureum 1’ was derived by crossing Hosta minor with Hosta ‘Krossa Regal’. Among the induced leaf-color- and shape-modified hosta plants, the plants that exhibited deep-green color and small-bended leaves were selected. ‘Neulpureum 1’ maintained the deep-green leaves for longer than Hosta ‘Krossa Regal’. Additionally, the plant height of ‘Neulpureum 1’ was shorter than that of Hosta ‘Krossa Regal’ and several leaves were observed on the new cultivar; therefore, it is likely to be used as a pot plant. The botanical characteristics were investigated for three years beginning 2012. A Hosta ‘Neulpureum 1’ can prove to be useful as a material for a pot plant or as ground cover plant at half-shadow place.
- Cho, K.W., K.H. Tae and S.K. Sung. 2005. Characteristics of flowering habit, pollination patterns and seed setting of Hosta plantaginea Aschers. Korean J. Plant Res. 18:309-314.
- Chung, M.G. and J.W. Kim. 1991. The genus Hosta tratt. (Liliaceae) in Korea. Sida 14:411-420.
- Chung, Y.C. and Y.H. Chung. 1988. A taxonomic study of the genus Hosta in Korea. Korean J. Plant Tax. 18:161-172.10.11110/kjpt.19126.96.36.199
- Grenfell, D. 1996. The Gardener’s Guide to Growing Hostas. Timber Press, New York, USA.
- Kim, H.J. and J.S. Lee. 2012. New cultivar ‘Blue Edge’ of leaf variegated Hosta minor. Korean J. Plant Res. 25:652-655.10.7732/kjpr.2012.25.4.50410.7732/kjpr.2012.25.5.652
- Kim, H.J. and J.S. Lee., K.W. Park and S.S. Kim. 2013. New cultivar ‘White Edge’ of leaf variegated Hosta minor. Korean J. Plant Res. 26:516-518.10.7732/kjpr.2013.26.4.516
- Krause, K. 1930. Asphodeloideae-Hemerocallidae 295-296 in Engler, Nat Pflanzenfam. Ed. 2, XV-a.
- Lee, J.S. and Y.K. Chang. 2002. Morphological characteristics and analysis of genetic relationship using RAPD in leaf variegated Hosta minor native to Korea. J. Korean Soc. Hort. Sci. 43:373-378.
- Lee, Y.K., J.D. Jung and S.T. Kim. 2015. A suggestion of Korean names for the Orders and Families included in the APG III classification system. Korean J. Pl. Taxon. 45: 278-297.10.11110/kjpt.2015.45.3.278
- Li, L., F. Chen and W. Gong. 2007. Study on simplification of Hosta plantaginea tissue culture. Territory & Natural Resources Study 4:44-44.
- Meyer, Jr, M.M. 1980. In vitro propagation of Hosta sieboldiana. HortScience 15:737-738.
- Mo, J.B., B.S. Chen, M. Huang, Y.H. Hu, C.H. Jiang and H.F. Zhu. 2007. Study on effects of the high temperature on cultivars of Hosta. Seed 5:14-14.
- Schmid, W.G. 1992. The Genus Hosta. Timber Press. New York, USA.